The Battery Storage and Solar O&M Technician is a field-based role performing operations and maintenance duties on utility-scale battery storage and ground mounted solar PV plant at client sites. The overall purpose of the role is to conduct preventive and corrective maintenance of the battery storage and solar plant whilst ensuring outstanding levels of safety, quality and plant performance. The role includes work coordination and supervision of approved 3rd party contractors as / when required on site. Frequent travel to operational sites and premises within the South of Scotland and North of England regions is also a requirement.
The ideal candidate will be a Field Service Technician preferably with experience of operating and maintaining MW-scale power plants. The candidate needs to be located near to the Newcastle / Gateshead area and have a full driving licence and be available for weekend on-call duties as part of a rota.
A company vehicle, smart phone and laptop/tablet will be provided. The company provides a comprehensive package of benefits including contributory pension, private health insurance and investment in role specific training.
The company prides themselves on their in-house training programme and as such a full training programme is provided. Technicians who demonstrate an attitude and aptitude for career progression will be encouraged to broaden their experience to advanced levels such as an industry recognised HV Authorised Person (AP) or Senior Authorised Person (SAP). For team members who embody our values of Passion, Accountability, Collaboration and Excellence, the opportunities for growth are huge.
The responsibilities of the Battery Storage and Solar O&M Technician include:
Adherence to and management of health and safety requirements.
Achieving and maintaining Authorised Person status commensurate with training received, experience gained and in-line with individual job role requirements.
Undertaking planned inspection, testing and maintenance according to legal, technical, manufacturer and contractual requirements.
Conducting system testing, troubleshooting (fault diagnosis), reactive maintenance and resolution in a timely manner.
Troubleshooting and repairing sensors and communication equipment.
Configuration of computer-based devices and components, including firmware updates.
Inducting and managing sub-contractors, ensuring their safe working and undertaking quality checks on their work.
Keeping accurate maintenance records and compiling reports.
Keeping in close communication with the O&M office and team support personnel.
Occasionally assisting with ground maintenance, clearance, or mechanical work.
Occasionally working away from home for training courses or to cover other sites for up to 1 week at a time.
Other duties commensurate with the role.
- Relevant electrical qualifications – NVQ Level 3 (or equivalent)
- Full UK driving licence
- City & Guilds 17/18th BS7671
- Inspection and testing qualifications (C&G 2391 or 2394/5)
- First aid qualifications
- Health & Safety qualifications (e.g. IOSH Managing Safely, SMSTS, SSSTS, CSCS)
- Advanced electrical qualifications
- Central inverter training qualifications
- High Voltage qualifications and authorisations
Experience, Skills and Attributes
- Strong approach to safe working practices
- DC and LV installation, fault finding, testing and commissioning
- Reading, writing, reviewing and amending Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- Liaising with equipment vendors to support diagnosis of faults
- Excellent communication skills, fluent written and spoken English
- Attention to detail
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Able to respond to changing priorities and emergent issues
- Working remotely without close supervision
- Enthusiasm for personal development
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Computer skills for writing reports, reporting progress and communications
- Passion, Accountability, Collaboration, Excellence
- Solar PV installation and O&M experience (MW-scale or large commercial ground-mount)
- Battery storage installation and O&M experience (MW- scale)
- Installing or maintaining ethernet and fibre optic communications
- Working with SCADA or data monitoring systems
- Working with HVAC, fire protection, security systems (including CCTV)
- Working with Central inverters and High Voltage switchgear
N.B. training can be given if / as required
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to make an application.