Due to continued market success, my client who specialise in the design, supply, installation, maintenance and commissioning of electrical infrastructures for a varied range of electricity utility companies and renewable energy developers throughout the UK and Ireland, require a suitably qualified Protection Design Engineer to join their team on a permanent basis,
Reporting to the Engineering Business Unit General Manager the role involves responsibility for:
- Ensuring that all work is carried out in accordance with the standards, policies and procedures of the company and its’ customers.
- Maintenance of own competence in accordance with legislative changes and customer requirements.
- Assist project managers in the design of electrical circuits /substation layouts and prepare drawings for presentation to customers.
- Use site surveys, existing plans, drawings and technical knowledge to prepare designs and schemes of work, construct workable plans and clearly specify resources.
- Assist in preparation of overall programme, working with the Project Manager.
- Compile “as installed” records.
- Assist in costing schemes for tendering as required.
- Identify and inform company Directors of commercial opportunities as appropriate with cost savings and potential project opportunities
- Implement and adhere to company and customers, safety rules, instructions, standing orders and procedures.
- Assist the Project Manager in preparing H&S and CDM plans and files for projects in accordance with the CDM Regulations.
- Ensure that Safety, Health and environment are taken into account at the design stage of projects and wherever possible design risks out of the system.
- Liaise closely with Project Manager/Assistant and Tendering team to understand and manage priorities arising.
- Provide cost value reconciliation for projects/contracts.
- Ensure that up to date job instructions and plans are available.
- Ensure costs are kept in line with project plan.
- Work as part of a team to ensure safe, effective and efficient implementation of company operations.
- Liaise with customer’s design team and follow customer’s specification in preparing designs.
- Liaise with appropriate people to ensure the smooth running of projects, e.g. site managers and supervisors, subcontractors, clients, customers, landowners, suppliers and colleagues.
- Liaise with Tendering team regarding budgets and schedule rates where necessary.
- Complete all work to high standards.
- Identify and implement areas of improvement in company processes and operations.
Essential Skills and Competencies:
Technically qualified with a HNC, degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or a relevant qualification in Construction.
Experience of working on projects in the construction or electricity industries with a sound working knowledge of electrical power engineering design principles.
Experienced in design work on voltages between 11kV and 400kV
Fully conversant with the latest Transmission and Distribution standards & technologies.
Working knowledge of all plant and equipment used on site.
Experienced in setting and configuration of numerical protection relays.
Good knowledge of Health & Safety regulations (including CDM Regulations) applicable to the design and operation of High Voltage substations.
Able to take interact and co-ordinate other design disciplines including primary and civil designers.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
A strong and demonstrable commercial awareness coupled with an ability to closely identify opportunities to maximise return while ensuring complete customer satisfaction.
The salary and benefits package associated with this position will be on a Personal Contract basis and will be commensurate with a position at this level.
The successful applicant could be based from client offices in either Doncaster, Glasgow, Perth or Belfast.